Friday, November 25, 2011

My Heartstring


Your journey started in a race of 250 million
Yet you won.
The instant you burrowed your way into my ovum 
resulted in the creation of a unique cell that can never be duplicated
Never replicated.
You are your own carbon copy, your very own prototype.
3 weeks of being and you're a blastocyst of rapidly multiplying cells 
Working innumerable miracles approved by Him who sent you.
You're a part of a Master Plan that I cannot yet envision or even comprehend.
Its week 4 and the embryo is in the process of preparing for the creation of your organs and body parts
As tiny as a sesame seed yet holding the potential to become something so remarkably awesome.
By week 6 your presence is cemented as your heart beats twice as much as mine do, 
Tiny hands and feet are developing and your tongue and vocal cords are beginning to form.
How can I deny your being or see you as insignificant?
It takes but six weeks for you to transform from a single sperm cell into a beating heart.
You're alive within me and dependent upon me to survive.
In your 8th week your brains begin to form
You may not be able to comprehend what is happening 
but you're marvelous in your own right.
Wk 13 and your unique set of fingerprints are embedded on your tiny hands
Exclusively yours.
You declare your presence in week 14 by expanding past my pelvic bone as if to say,
"Hello World, see you very soon!"
That same week, thanks to brain impulses, you now have the ability to squint, frown and grimace as you see fit.
France, Germany and Italy says here after you have the right to live...
America says you do not!
Its been 4 months now and your circulatory system is now working as you pump 25 quarts of blood a day.
In month 5 your hearing has developed, you can now hear me singing you lullabies and familiarize yourself with my voice.
Your skeleton is turning from rubbery cartilage to hardened bone, hair sprouts from your scalp and your individual senses are developing. 
You are human. You matter to me.
Month six. 
America says this is my last month to decide if I want to keep you or not. 
After having you grow from a tiny sperm cell to a baby that can hear, move about, give facial expression, whose heart beats...
How can I even consider not bringing you to term at this stage? 
Seven months later and you, my baby, is putting on baby fat and I smile at the thought of it.
My back aches and my feet swells but its a labour of love I am committed to.
For you can now suck your thumb, hiccup, open your eyes and you sleep and wake at regular intervals.
I love you with a fierceness that defies comprehension.
Eight months in and I'm clumsy, short of breath, tired all the time and I can no longer see my toes when I look down,
All the while your lungs have fully developed, you are gaining weight rapidly and have turned in a head down position preparing for your grand entrance.
I can't wait to meet you, my little ball of sunshine.
Its been nine months, a long journey of ups and downs for me, a period of uncertainty for you.
But I love you beyond words and have prepared my heart and life for you.
To love, cherish and protect you I vow
Welcome to the World little one.
Welcome home, my love.

NCD Lewis
8th November 2011

5 comments:

Robert Gibson: PWES Editor said...

Still reading ... in awe at your words .... as a parent myself I feel your love through this work :)

Nekisha CD Lewis said...

I feel obligated to confess that I am not a parent (yet). Hopefully one day!

Thanks for reading x

Robert Gibson: PWES Editor said...

LOL well you hit the nail on the head with this piece :)

vynell said...

this is wonderful...it makes my memmories appear from the past...it's amazing huh, just to c wat wonders sperm can do....mommy love u j'quez

nIx said...

Yes, V, I thought you might like that one =) Thanks for the comment x

Post a Comment

Leave your thoughts!